Sunday, August 4, 2013

My new mission

Well it all started with facebook, of course. I reconnected with a couple of guys who went to school with my sister (a little 0lder than me) then met up at our hometown reunion in February. Actually I had reconnected with one of them during his ride last year when I found out he was riding through Maryland; didn't see him but it started the reconnection and learning about the ride. This is, as the sign says ,The Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge. There are many reasons why people make this ride; physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, all the above. These guys have several reasons they ride but one is for charity. That charity is called Miles for Missions. Last year I was only on the very periphery of what the ride was about but as the ride got closer this year I learned more and more. And I learned a lot about the ministries they were riding for and they became close to my heart. I became close to David and Carla who started Miles for Missions; David through watching him ride live on his camera, listening to his Christian music as he road and with Carla through her posts on their facebook pages, messaging, and even through phone calls of support. It's a very intense experience, of course for the riders, but also for those who are following (Hoka Hey provides a tracking feature on their website to watch the riders live in animation). The testimonies of Carla and David's faith was awe-inspiring.
So I started, even before the ride began, checking out the ministries they were riding for. I got involved enough with the charities and with David and Carla that they asked me last week to be a board member of Miles for Missions. What an honor. It's just taking off so I have tons of ideas and can't wait to get to work with them and these great ministries.
Restore Her was the first one that got close to my heart. Started by the folks who opened Stillcreek Ranch, a ranch for at-risk boys, Restore Her is a home for mostly girls who the F.B.I. and other agencies find who have become part of child sex trafficking in the U.S. Both are located in my hometown area of Texas. This is one of the very few places where these children can go to escape and be saved from this heinous situation. And, of course, there is not housing for all these children who are being rescued. They need more money to build more homes for these kids. Who could look away from this issue? Check it out. They welcome any amount. It's not how much people give, it's how many people give.
Another part of Miles for Missions is David's work on getting water to people in El Salvador. He also helps with building homes and helps in general but the funds mainly go to getting water to the folks. Can you imagine life without water? Above is a photo of David cranking water from a new well for the people in the village. I'm very excited to be part of something so wonderful with people with such huge, loving hearts and who inspire me daily.

No comments: