Friday, September 20, 2013

Why I love facebook part...mmm...

A few months ago I was honored to be asked to be one of the administrators of my hometown facebook page, You Know You From Bryan/College Station When... I had been a member since near it's inception which was many years ago. Even though there were a couple of thousand members for several years, there were only about 20 or 30 of us who were continuously active on there. When we took over as admins there were just over 3,000 people who were members, now, only four months later there are over 4,100 members. It doesn't seem like a big deal but have you ever tried to keep over 4,000 people from pissing each other off, offending others, keep their political and/or religious views to themselves on a public forum? Go 'head wit it, try it; I'll wait to hear how it goes. I get made fun of a lot because I take it so seriously but it's my beloved hometown; the place where my heart and soul live and soar-it's important to me to keep it clean. My fellow admins feel the same way. We make it fun by having "meetings" every night to talk about the goings on from the forum from that day and we all take turns during the day posting, supporting our members, and keeping an eye on things. 

Recently Jim, John, and I were talking about how our local newspaper used to write about the daily going-ons of the folks in our little town. I found this example recently:
I loved going to Camp Allen, the Episcopal church camp every summer growing up until high school when I started going to Young Life camps. This was the local news in the local newspaper back in 1963. Sure Vietnam, etc. was on the front page but there was also good news in the paper. This would have been my first year at Camp Allen. The next year I moved to the next level with Elaine and we went together for several years in the same cabin. 

Hence, that's one of the many reasons why I love facebook. No, I don't need to know what everyone is having for dinner or other minutia (it's all relative to everyone differently) that some people post but I do like to hear about what's important to them and their dear ones. I like to stay connected to those who are important to me and in this fast-paced, wacky world this is the only way I've figured out how to do it on a grand scale. Email is for more deeply personal stuff. I'm trying to limit my time on there and keep it to the "important" stuff, I like to acknowledge birthdays, and life events, and yep, Aggie stuff. 

I heart fb.

And a follow up: I wrote to the administrator of Camp Allen asking if they had any photos from the years that I attended and she sent me these. It overwhelmed me with wonderful memories. 
I am on the second row 4th from the right; short hair and white shirt.
The cabins we stayed in just as I remember them. 
And the wonderful view from the camp.

No comments: