Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Ew Boy

Yesterday I completely moved my oh-so-overdue-rehab studio to a new room-NOT. I started. This is going to be a big job: 1. third floor to basement; 2. total chaos to complete organization vow; 3. way too much stuff that hasn't been properly vetted for years; 4. again, two floors-two flights of stairs to move heavy furniture and lots of shit down. Oy. I've been wanting to do a cluster of lamps like this for a while. This is my start-my inspiration wall. Soooo much more to do. It's just peeing in the corner, which is how I begin things-I have to complete one small thing before tackling the rest. Pretty good start, huh? I saw it in a fabulous new magazine I found while in Balto. I'll share the magazine and photo with you when...well I won't commit to anything else right now.
Sadly, I inherited this room and the rest of the 800 square feet of a full apartment through my father-in-law's passing. We built this house in 1996 including the finished basement with lots of windows, its own entrance, and full kitchen, bath, living room, and bedroom. For 15 years he has been, comforting for all of us, right below our living space. Yeah, I'm trying to fill a void that can never be filled, but can be utilized.
Taking full advantage of having all my guys home yesterday, we tackled getting everything out of that room. These were "before" pics. Oh hale yes, I'm going to document this big project (and hopefully publish it eventually).
I still have some cute looks in my current studio. I've been in there about 3 years, heavy cleaning every 3-4 months but I've not been able to find things for months. That's when all the process comes to a stop-except in my head. Frustration out the what's-it.
I have made very few things in the last few months and during the biggest time to make money in the year. The last couple of years I have been fighting a complete lack of motivation and no energy due to the depression meds I was on. I hadn't made a change earlier because, well, I wasn't at the worst so I gutted it out-ugh. I changed my meds a couple of months ago-voila!-I've got energy and motivation back-whew.
The timing was good for helping our dear friends, as much as possible, trying to get through the worst of times. Time was so precious that nothing could come close to spending any free time with them. And, truly, when not with them it was hard to do much else other than think of them and pray. Priorities become crystal clear.
So, yesterday, off I went. This is going to be a long process, mostly because there's so much to do and partly because I want to do it right. I want to be able to get in there when it's set up and get some of these stored-in-my-brain things come to fruition.
Oh the humanity! This is what the studio really looks like and has for a while. I sit in the middle and dig and, most time, can't find what I'm looking for. That's always when I draw the line in the sand. Editing will be a big part of this process. I saw somewhere recently where to send art supplies that weren't being use. I need to find that info again. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Susan said...

I, too, have visions of an organized workplace . . . and am starting today as soon as I get back from the grocery store . . . Flylady says to start at the door and work your way around the room one section at a time - in segments of 15 minutes. Don't zig-zag . . .