Monday, July 30, 2007

Saturday: Hoover Dam and Lake Meade

Oh we had such ambition for Saturday. We drove to Hoover Dam (sorry, photos not in order) where we parked and were going to take the full tour. It turns out that Saturday was hotter than July in Las Vegas. It was the most hot and humid day so far. It wasn't just us, everyone was complaining and working very hard to not faint. So Matt and Paul took the short tour while I hung out in the inside cafe.Pardon my "Al Gore" here but I've got to point out in the above photo the line where Lake Mead used to reach. The white part is where the water use to cover until I'm not sure exactly how long it took or how many feet but it reminded me of the segment in "An Inconvenient Truth" showing the maps of Crater Lake. The lake is beautiful but I couldn't help but be almost completely distracted by the white part. Obviously ironic considering the proximity to LAS VEGAS and I'm a magnet for irony...
This is obviously the water side of the dam. I think Paul got all the dry-side photos. Going to a dam with me is almost as bad as going to Nantucket...
We had designs and even tickets in our hands and in line to board the cruise boat to go around Lake Meade when Matt said he could go no longer. He had gotten over-heated at the damn dam and was having a hard time recovering. So we aborted that mission and headed back to the hotel to swim for hours. I think Matt and Paul got to the pool around 3, I joined about 5 and they showed Monsters, Inc. on a huge screen starting at 8 for the kids to watch while floating in the pool. So Matt was in until about 9:30! He made a friend, Sawyer, from California who he had played with at the pool during the day and watched the movie with. We hope to be catching up with her again today (Monday), ours and her last day.

No comments: